Weddings are fun and joyful.
No one will deny that.
But they're also a TON of work for someone. Most often, the close friends and family of the couple rally together to make the day perfect, beautiful, unforgettable, and smooooooth.
Often, when I'm photographing a wedding I'll be running around following others running around and then they'll look at their watch and say something like, "Oh my gosh, I've got to get ready!" Followed by a quick dash to the bathroom, a dress change, and a bit of lipstick of course.
One of the most crucial roles on a wedding day is that of a Bridesmaid. Sure, they dress up and look beautiful beside the bride but they also fill a myriad of roles. During the Wedding Boom of 2006-2008 I had the HONOR to be a Bridesmaid in some dear friends' weddings. Hopefully, I was helpful....but I think more often than not, I ran around and ate the snacks, told silly jokes, and did anyone's hair who would let me.
But a few tips for Bridesmaids that I've noticed from witnessing some WONDERFUL Gals out there.
1. Bring food and drinks. You can never have too many of these things before a wedding.
2. Music! The last wedding I did (Sweet Amanda's below) had some great tunage in the "pre-ceremony" time. Dance parties are important to loosen everyone up.
3. Bring all your counseling tools. People get stressed. Caterers may melt down on you or a stressed family member. Be ready to love on them.
4. Bring extra earrings. Someone may forget theirs.
5. Be ready to serve. The day isn't really about the Bridesmaid....although you're a supporting actress in a beautiful drama. Keep your eyes peeled for anyway to help the bride or her mother on this day.
6. Two Words: Lip Stain
7. Know your pal. Think of something for her on this day - whether she loves Sweet Tarts or new nail polish....you know how to love her....and maybe it is deeper than food and make up but you know what I mean.
8. Come ready to celebrate your pals. A joyful spirit over their big day goes a LOOONG way.
Amanda and one of her gals below. She had some incredible friends alongside her that day.