But really - it is a fun world - in the nitty gritty and in the glamorous.
I realize by sharing this little photography montage you may think I'm a freak.
But what I hope is that you will think I like bacon and all things in that genre. Because, if you think that - then you are correct my friend. Tomorrow around 6 am, my mother/roomate/pal Barb will fry up some bacon. I will then eat it and spend the rest of the day thinking about being healthy, eating berries, and doing yoga. Somehow, I don't ever seem to want to cut out the bacon. Or sausage. Or ham. Or....you get my point.
That said - meat. It is great.
And a special thank you to my pals in the valley for letting me be the freak with the camera at their hog butchering. Thanks also for
- pig liver
- pig tongue
- pig pancreas (I think this is called sweetbreads)
- pig skin with the hair a bit on it because it did not fry off
- pig kidney
- human kidney (gotcha)
- and I think something else gross.
all in all. it was swell. I recommend you go sometime. They may even feed you something from the list above - if you're lucky and well received.
But beyond my food adventures, a few other highlights:
Hogs from mary Stafford on Vimeo.
- watching a 70 something gentleman stick his hand into boiling lard because he wanted us to know when pure fat boils it can't burn you. I didn't believe it but then I saw it. Crazy. Someone. Please. Explain.
- realizing the casing around the sausage we all love is actually intestinal lining. (you can barf now and then proceed to fry up more sausage because that's what I did)
- taking a photograph of my head and a pig's head. sort of like kindred souls.
- spitting out liver in front of at least 10 grown men.
- watching children play monkey in the middle with a pigs foot for the ball. (they are really thrifty)
- feeling a bit of love and not hatred for a dog
- wearing carhartts all day and not feeling like a poser.